top of page


How to Dispute Credit Errors.

      Step 1: Obtain your free credit reports.

     Obtaining your credit reports is the first step in disputing any inaccurate or wrong information which may appear on it. Federal law requires the 3 national credit reporting agencies, Equifax, Experian and Trans Union, to provide you with a free credit report every year. Most likely, each of these credit reporting agencies has a credit file on you. 


     You can get your free credit reports at This is the only official site to help consumers obtain their free credit report. You may contact the credit reporting agencies directly, but beware! These credit reporting agencies own businesses which easily trick the consumer into buying their credit scores rather than providing you with their actual free credit report.

      Step 2: Initiate disputes with the credit reporting agencies. 

     Dispute errors on your credit reports by using the FTC's sample complaint letter. Make copies of all supportive documentation.  Mail your dispute letters and enclosures via certified mail - return receipt to: 
















    Step 3: Initiate disputes with the furnisher of the inaccurate information. 

     Contact the furnisher of the inaccurate information. Use the FTC's sample complaint letter to use to dispute inaccurate information with providers. 

     Step 4: Initiate disputes with the furnisher of the inaccurate information. 


     Credit reporting agencies must investigate disputes made by consumers. Thirty days after the dispute is initiated, credit reporting companies are required (by law) to provide consumers with the results. The results should be accompanied by a free credit report. If the disputed is not resolved, consider seeking legal action.  



Complaint Department

P.O. Box 740256

Atlanta, GA 30374

Phone: (888) 873-5420



P.O. Box 2002

Allen, TX 75013

Phone: (800) 509-8495


Consumer Disclosure Center

P.O. Box 2000

Chester, PA 19022-2000

Phone: (800) 916-8800

Get Help!
bottom of page